What is Peshtemal
Peshtemal is one of the oldest textile as a clothing. It is mostly hand woven thin piece of fabric that have been used in Turkish baths as a coverage and as a towel. It has been also used as a apron.
Peshtemal types are different in every region, that’s why it also used for as a cultural indicator for people.
Buldan Cloth and Peshtemal
The small town Buldan has been very important textile center of Turkey. The town is especially known for Buldan cloth which is thin hand-woven fabric that are used for bed covers, curtains and tablecloth. The town is also known for a vivid violet silk(peshtemal).
There are many people working on fabric woven looms throughout the history. They have produced Buldan cloth and peshtemal since 19th century.
Features of Peshtemal
- Peshtemal is light and thin.
- It dries fast very fast and absorbs more water according to towel.
- Peshtemal -especially for the beach peshtemal- takes very little space.
- The fabric is environment friendly and doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
- It could be used for various purposes.
Area of usage
- Bathroom towel
- Beach towel
- Turkish bath
- Yoga / Pilates
- Baby care
Thanks to its various features and area of usage, peshtemal becomes must have item in your travel or beach bag as well as in your home.